As of 2021, he is a welder in Miyagi.
Standing at 176.3 cm, Moniwa has a considerably small build for a volleyball player. He has short curly black hair (Dark brown in the manga), thick eyebrows and wide eyes with small black cat-like pupils.
Post-timeskip, Moniwa does not appear to have changed much although his hair appears shorter.
Though he was the captain of Date Tech, he wasn't stern with his teammates, and often had to rely on help from other members to control the juniors (an example being when he required Futakuchi's assistance to stop Aone when the latter points at Karasuno's ace, or vice versa when Futakuchi and Kamasaki start arguing). He usually became embarrassed instead of angry at the juniors' behavior and is generally somewhat of a timid person. However, whenever his team is losing in a match, he would encourage them and boost their confidence.
As Date Tech moves on to the second round, they overhear some spectators talking about Karasuno having a rookie who could jump very high. Hearing this, Moniwa warns Futakuchi and Aone to keep an eye on him. Before the match starts, Moniwa calls for the team cheer, which intimidates Karasuno. When hearing Nishinoya reassuring his teammates, Moniwa admits that he finds him cool. During one of the match’s first few rallies, Moniwa uses Aone as a decoy to set to Futakuchi. Hinata manages to deflect it, but in the end, Aone slams the ball back to him. To congratulate his junior, Moniwa high-fives him but is taken aback by Aone’s strength.
Not long after, Kageyama and Hinata pull their god-like quick set, and Moniwa, being wary for another one, is surprised when seeing Kageyama’s set not pulling it off. Moniwa then admits that he admires their skills but orders his team to stuff Hinata no matter what. Moniwa would once more motivate his teammates when he notices them starting to lose hope. In order to do that, he tells the team that their experience blocking numerous different kinds of hitters would allow them to do it again. When Futakuchi urges him to use the word “we”, Moniwa gets emotional. During the start of the second set, Moniwa notices Asahi and jumps up to block him but fails nevertheless. Later on, Moniwa notices Aone getting frustrated and assures him that they are going to win.
After Date Tech’s loss, Aone comes to Moniwa and the captain tries to cheer him on by telling him that he did well on deflecting Hinata’s quick sets. However, Aone surprises Moniwa by loudly claiming that they would beat them in the upcoming tournament. Despite this, Moniwa and Kamasaki unfortunately inform that the third-years would be quitting volleyball for the spring tournament. Following this, he tells Aone and Futakuchi how he admires their skills.
Spring High Preliminary Arc
When the third-years come to watching Date Tech play, Moniwa is surprised when he sees Karasuno behind him also watching the match. Additionally, he notices that all of Karasuno’s third-years decided to stay on the team. After this comment, he glances over to see how the new team is going but when seeing Date Tech losing a point, he gets embarrassed for them. However, Moniwa gloats when he tells Asahi and Daichi next to him about Koganegawa. However, when Date Tech’s coach ends up catching the ball, Moniwa tells Karasuno in a hurry that Koganegawa still needs a lot of practice but that he would be a ‘monster’ in no time, but the other third-years just notice that he is just making Daichi want to apologize to him.
However, when Koganegawa manages to block Oikawa when they were in a difficult situation, Moniwa shows Daichi that ‘this’ is the new iron wall, Sasaya and Kamasaki both notice that the first time around action didn’t back him up, so he decided to say it again. Once all three of Koganegawa, Aone, and Futakuchi rotated in the front row, Moniwa is proud at how those three would probably make the prefecture’s tallest and most solid triple block. After their loss, Moniwa tells the team that with hard work, the current lineup could be the best Date Tech had in a long time. He would also agree to help the team more during practices.
Tokyo Nationals Arc
When attending the Date Tech and Karasuno practice match, Moniwa sees Futakuchi trying to motivate his team and is happy that his problematic junior had turned into a dependable captain. However, after Futakuchi urges Date Tech to break Karasuno’s spirits, Moniwa does not speak and the other third-years mock Futakuchi’s attitude instead. Moniwa takes part in the third-year’s cheer when Obara manages to roof Hinata. When leaving the gymnasium, Date Tech and Karasuno’s third-years meet and Moniwa awkwardly wishes them good luck for nationals. After they part ways, Daichi defends Moniwa in saying that he has a more approachable feel than his classmates, but is reminded that he is the only one who can keep Futakuchi and Aone in check.
During the coverage of events after Nationals, Moniwa can be seen with Sasaya and Kamasaki in the audience supporting Date Tech when they win the Interhigh finals and make it to Nationals. By 2021, Moniwa has become a welder in Miyagi and would attend the Olympic games after winning tickets.
|High School Statistics|
Kaname has been shown to have good leadership skills to keep the team from falling. He is also able to block a spike from Asahi, although it was shown he had trouble doing this.
- Setting: As the original team setter, Moniwa can provide easy-to-hit sets to spikers.
- Blocking: Like the team, Moniwa relied on solid read blocking to try to shut out opposing spikers attacks. Despite being shorter than several of the other players on the team, Moniwa was still able be in position to help block opposing spikers.
Jumping Reach: 305 cm
- Kenji Futakuchi: Moniwa is shown to have had to repeatedly keep the young ace in line, either when he tries taunting opposing teams or when he gets into arguments with Kamasaki. Despite this, Moniwa is touched at how Futakuchi reminds him to include himself in Date Tech's team effort. After Futakuchi became the team captain, Moniwa is pleased with some of Futakuchi's maturity since accepting the role but he still is surprised that he continues to taunt others.
- Takanobu Aone: Moniwa is very supportive of the second-year middle blocker. He never fails to praise Aone for his amazing blocks and is very understanding when Aone attempts to apologize for a mistake he believes he has committed. As Aone continued to improve his skills, Moniwa continues to support him.
- Yasushi Kamasaki and Takehito Sasaya: Moniwa is shown to be quite close with his fellow third-years. He often joins them in going to Date Tech's matches in order to support their junior's. Moniwa at times has had to prevent Kamasaki from getting into arguments with Futakuchi by having Aone separate them.
- "Is their No. 10 [Hinata] the only one who can hit that? Heck, if they really can break that out whenever they want, that guy has to be a monster!" (About Hinata, Volume 5 Chapter 43)
- "Don't let them get to you! It's not like we're getting steamrolled. Our attacks get through too. Yeah, their No. 10 [Hinata] is something else. But you've faced off different hitters before, and you've shut them all down! Even Karasuno's Ace! You've done it before, you can do it again!" (To Date Tech, Volume 5 Chapter 44)
- "After all, Date Tech -- especially that big and burly No. 7 isn't all that surprised by Karasuno's 'surprise quick' anymore." (To Aone about Koganegawa, Volume 6 Chapter 45)
- "It isn't over yet, Aone! We've got time! We can still pull this off!" (To Aone, Volume 6 Chapter 46)
- "We already beat this spiker once! If we can't beat him again, we don't deserve to be called the iron wall!" (To Aone and Futakuchi, Volume 6 Chapter 46)
- "You know you did really well against that stupidly fast quick of theirs. You should --" (To Aone, Volume 6 Chapter 47)
- "You guys are good, really good. Date Tech is considered a powerhouse school, yeah, but we third years everybody always knew our class was a dud. None of us were that good. It's only because we had you guys around that we were able to keep our play at a level that wasn't an embarrassment to the 'iron wall' name. But next year when you guys are third years, you stick with the team all the way through the Spring Tournament! Rebuild the team with newer and better players, and even if you don't get through the September Prelims this year, then next year...! Next year you're going to beat Karasuno! And Bluecastle! And even Shiratorizawa! Next year the iron wall will beat back everyone and go to Nationals!! Got it?!" (To Aone and Futakuchi, Volume 6 Chapter 47)
- "Maaan... I wanted to keep playing...! I don't wanna give up playing yet! I don't think I'm gonna get over this anytime soon. But next year, next year the iron wall will rise again, and this time, it won't crumble." (To Aone and Futakuchi, The Iron Wall Will Rise and Rise Again)
- "Um!! He's improving! Really!! He only started playing setter a few months ago! He'll be a monster in due time. Honest! N-no, no! It's OK! Players make those kinds of mistakes all the time." (About Kanji Koganegawa,Volume 14 Chapter 126)
- "C'mon, guys! You can't let them (Aoba Johsai) widen the gap any further! You have to cut them off at one!" (To Date Tech, Volume 14 Chapter 126)
- "Our ace and one of our best blockers is Futakuchi. The core of the 'iron wall' himself, Aone. And our new 'third panel' in Koganegawa. There's no doubt that these three form the strongest , tallest triple block you will find in the entire prefecture!" (To himself about Date Tech, Volume 15 Chapter 127)
- "Keep working, guys. Keep working hard, harder than you ever have. Because this team has the potential to become the strongest iron wall in our school's history." (To Date Tech, Volume 15 Chapter 128)
- His favorite food is Gohandesuyo Nori Paste.
- Current concern: The second years.
- His star sign is Virgo.
- He bears a close resemblance to Matsukawa of Aoba Johsai
- In Haikyuu's first popularity poll, Moniwa placed 28th with 558 votes. In the second, he dropped to 33rd with 901 votes.
- Kaname (要) - Need
- Moniwa (茂庭) - Shigeru Garden