Kiyoko is of average height with shoulder-length black hair, grey eyes, and a distinct mole located on the lower left side of her chin. She also wears glasses a pink bridge and rims.
She is most commonly described as an extremely attractive, albeit "erotic" girl who often garners a lot of attention from both male and female students, including from other school teams, and because of her appearance, Karasuno High is generally known as the team with the beautiful manager.
On her first appearance, she wore a white tracksuit with a single periwinkle stripe on both the sleeves of her jacket and her sweatpants. Afterward, she was shown to wear the Karasuno's volleyball club uniform from then on. Outside of club activity, Kiyoko would pair black tights with her school uniform regardless of the season. This is mainly to hide the scars she received from Track and Field. In her days as an athlete before becoming a manager for Karasuno's volleyball club, she is shown wearing a sky blue tracksuit with purple tennis shoes and cyan blue accents. She was not wearing glasses and had her hair tied up in a ponytail.
She would occasionally wear her hair up or down. When Daichi recruited Kiyoko into being a team manager during their first year, her hair was seen in two pigtails. After she and Tanaka got married post-timeskip, she cuts her hair short to shoulder length and stops wearing glasses.
Kiyoko is generally known for her aloof and straightforward personality, as she is known to be serious and passionate about her position as the volleyball club's team manager. She is also shown to care a lot about the team members in the volleyball club. Even going as far as to fix and wash up Karasuno High's banner, in order to boost up the team's morale. Surprisingly enough, she's shown to be very shy when it comes to giving a speech, such as when she wished the volleyball team to do their best.
After Kiyoko recruits Hitoka Yachi and that she joins the volleyball team, she begins to open herself up a lot more and is seen smiling more often, even cracking jokes to let Hitoka ease up whenever the latter feels anxious. It can also be noted that Kiyoko is surprisingly strong and capable, as she was quick enough to knock a ball flying towards Hitoka without flinching, which may be due to her past in Track and Field.
Kiyoko was previously a member of her middle school's track and field team who specialized in jumping over hurdles and as a result, she would injure her legs often. Because of the team's large size and her inability to talk to others, she wasn't particularly close to any of the juniors. She eventually retired from the sport for unknown reasons.
Karasuno High Team Formation ArcEdit
3-on-3 First Years Match
In the anime, Kiyoko appears after Shōyō Hinata and Tobio Kageyama are kicked out of the gym. In the manga, she only appears on the day of the first years; match. Kiyoko later brings in the uniforms for the first years.
At the end of the match, Daichi Sawamura notes that he's glad things have finally been resolved. He thanks Kōshi Sugawara and Kiyoko shares a look with the setter before they both place their hands on Daichi's shoulders, surprising him.
Aobajōsai Practice Match
Tokyo Expedition ArcEdit
With the third years deciding to stay on the team until the Spring Tournament, Kiyoko took it upon herself to find someone who would be interested in becoming the new manager for the volleyball team. Even with Hinata's help, she was unsuccessful in finding someone until she came across Yachi. Although Yachi had absentmindedly agreed to become a manager on a trial basis, Kiyoko was grateful and introduced Yachi to the team later, where she would reveal to them that she wanted to find someone who would continue to help the team grow once she had graduated.
As she mentors Yachi, Kiyoko is noted to be less aloof. She is seen smiling and talking more often, to the joy of Tanaka and Nishinoya. During the training camps at Nekoma High and Shinzen High, Kiyoko continues to help Yachi gain more knowledge about volleyball and experience in being a manager. They both are seen helping the Karasuno players with team or individual practices.
Spring High Preliminary ArcEdit
For most of Karasuno's matches to qualify for the Spring Tournament, Kiyoko is mostly seen carrying out her tasks as the manager by taking notes and helping the players with things they need. She did have one run-in with Johzenji captain Terushima who wanted her phone number but was saved by Hinata when he stepped in to help her when Tanaka and Nishinoya were not present. When Karasuno was about to face Aobajohsai in their second match against each other, Kiyoko protected Yachi from a ball that nearly hit her at the same time that Yahaba attempted to flirt with the first year girl. When Tsukishima's hand was injured in the match against Shiratorizawa, Kiyoko escorted him to the medical office and could tell that he was still making plans on what to do when he returned to the game. When Karasuno eventually won the match, Kiyoko is seen crying.
Tokyo Nationals ArcEdit
Karasuno vs TsubakiharaEdit
When a young boy had mistakenly taken Hinata's bag containing his sneakers, Kiyoko volunteered to go meet the boy and his mother at the gym the team had previously been practicing at and get the bag back. Yachi had offered to go instead but Kiyoko decided against it. She instead appointed Yachi to take her place as the team manager for the game as it would give the younger girl the chance to get used to being the team manager.
Kiyoko is able to meet the boy and his mother and get Hinata's shoes but misses the bus to return to the stadium. Because of this, Kiyoko is forced to run back to the stadium but knew she would make it back thanks to the speed and stamina she had accumulated from being a track athlete in middle school. Kiyoko is able to make it back to the stadium just as the team is about to go onto the court for the game and tosses Hinata's bag to Yachi. Hinata and Yamaguchi thank Kiyoko for her efforts. After the match, Kiyoko reunites with Yachi who has a relieved expression.
Karasuno vs InarizakiEdit
Karasuno vs NekomaEdit
Karasuno vs KamomedaiEdit
Kiyoko is revealed to currently be working as a sports store employee and to have married Tanaka. She and Tanaka go to the Jackals and Alders game and reunite with several friends. During the first set of the game, Kiyoko notices that Hinata's form has improved so well that she comments he looks similar to Ushijima and Asahi when they were at the peak of a game. After the game, Kiyoko is seen to no longer wear leggings and instead has embraced the scars she had received during her time as a track athlete; noting Yachi having once called scars badges of honor.
Later, Kiyoko and Tanaka watch the Olympic women's volleyball match and proudly support Kanoka during the game. With Daichi and Sugawara, they then watch the men's volleyball match and receive a photo of Asahi and Nishinoya in Egypt.
Being a former track member, Kiyoko has impressive speed, jumping and stamina where she has fast reflexes that enable her to stop stray volleyballs from hitting her or Hitoka Yachi. Despite having no volleyball experience, Kiyoko has an accurate underhand serve.
Hinata finds Kiyoko attractive that he is often flustered around her. When Kiyoko was looking for a new manager, Hinata eagerly agreed to help her and Kiyoko seems to be fond of Hinata and his innocent nature, often reminding him to focus on his studies and volleyball practice.
The team respectfully acknowledges Kiyoko as part of the team. She often gets crowded by Yū Nishinoya and Ryūnosuke Tanaka, who both have a huge crush on her, on a daily basis. Kiyoko doesn't seem bothered by this (though she'll scold them when they get out of hand). It was Daichi who had recruited Kiyoko as a manager and having known them since they were all first years, Kiyoko is very close with the third years.. He continued to tirelessly pursue her throughout their time in high school and was repeatedly turned down. Kiyoko goes on to marry Tanaka sometime in the future after High School, which is revealed in the V-League arc when they went to see the Schweiden Adlers vs Black Jackals game and arrived together.
- The name Kiyoko means "virtue" (潔) (kiyo) and "child" (子) (ko).
- Kiyoko's surname Shimizu means "clear, pure, clean" (清) (shi) and "water" (水) (mizu).
- Favorite Food: Tenmusu
- Current Concern: Whether to have Jagarico or Jagabee for her snack.
- In middle school, she used to get cuts and bruises on her legs from running into hurdles. To hide them, she would wear black tights. Even after retiring from the sport, she continues to wear them out of habit.
- Her star sign is Capricorn.
- Oikawa’s current concern lists her as having ignored his advances before (but she must just have been shy, and it's not like he's all that bothered by it, not even a little bit, not at all, Oikawa said to himself).
- Furudate gave her this name because: “I like the way ‘Kiyoko’ sounds. I managed to name her without much trouble.”
- In Haikyuu's first popularity poll, Shimizu placed 13th with 2,460 votes. In the second, she dropped to 21st with 2,640 votes.
- "Do...Do your best." (To the Karasuno team, Season 1 Episode 14)
- "I think our team [Karasuno] is among the best in the prefecture." (To Hitoka Yachi, Season 2 Episode 2)
- "This time, we're [Karasuno] going to stand on the national stage." (To Yachi, Season 2 Episode 2)
- "I don't think everyone has to like something before giving it a try. I don't think you need an unwavering will or lofty motive just to get started. Sometimes things that you start on a whim end up becoming very important to you, too. To get started, I think you just need a little bit of curiosity." (To Yachi, Season 2 Episode 3)
- "I may not stand on the court... I may not wear the uniform... But, right now, at this very moment... I stand with them on the front line of the battlefield." (To herself, Volume 26 Chapter 232)
- "A banana suits Tanaka." (Meaning that he behaves like a monkey; To herself, Volume 12 Chapter 101)
- "You train, keep training, then train some more. The countless hours you put in, the progress made... All of it can come to a screeching halt in the blink of an eye... So what if it does, though?" (To herself, Volume 26 Chapter 232)
- "I cannot say that we will be the ones defeated, nor can I say with any certainty that we will stand victorious. All we can do is simply rise to the challenge." (To herself, Volume 26 Chapter 232)
- "You aren't going to win any games just because you prayed to the gods for it. It's going to be alright. Even if the gods aren't in your favor, you've got nothing to worry about." (To Asahi Azumane, Daichi Sawamura and Kōshi Sugawara, Volume 26 Chapter 229)