Kiyoko is of average height with shoulder-length black hair, grey eyes, and a distinct mole located on the lower left side of her chin. She also wears glasses with pink rims and bridge.
She is most commonly described as an extremely attractive, albeit "erotic" girl who often garners a lot of attention from both male and female students, including from other school teams, and because of her appearance, Karasuno High is generally known as the team with the beautiful manager.
Upon making her first appearance when Hinata and Kageyama were kicked out of the gym by Daichi for their inability to get along as teammates, she was first seen wearing a white track suit with a single periwinkle stripe on both the sleeves of her jacket and her sweatpants, afterwards she was shown to wear the Karasuno's volleyball club uniform from then on. She would occasionally wear her hair up or leave it down, depending on the chapter of the Manga or anime episodes. However, from the moment Daichi recruited Kiyoko into being a team manager, her hair was seen in two pigtails.
When wearing her school uniform, she is commonly seen wearing black tights, even when wearing her summer uniform. This is mainly due to injuring her legs from Track and Field.
During her flashbacks, in her days of Track and Field before becoming a manager for Karasuno's volleyball club, she is shown wearing a sky blue track suit with purple tennis shoes and cyan blue accents. Her hair was tied in a ponytail and she wasn't wearing her glasses.
After she and Tanaka got married in the V-League arc, Kiyoko is seen with shorter hair and she doesn't wear her glasses.
Kiyoko is generally known for her aloof and straightforward personality, as she is known to be serious and passionate about her position as the volleyball club's team manager. She is also shown to care a lot about the team members in the volleyball club. Even going as far as to fix and wash up Karasuno High's banner, in order to boost up the team's morale. Surprisingly enough, she's shown to be very shy when it comes to giving a speech, such as when she wished the volleyball team to do their best.
After Kiyoko recruits Hitoka Yachi and that she joins the volleyball team, she begins to open herself up a lot more and is seen smiling more often, even cracking jokes to let Hitoka ease up whenever the latter feels anxious. It can also be noted that Kiyoko is surprisingly strong and capable, as she was quick enough to knock a ball flying towards Hitoka without flinching, which may be due to her past in Track and Field.
Kiyoko was previously a member of her middle school's track and field team who specialized in jumping over hurdles and as a result, she would injure her legs often. Because of the team's large size and her inability to talk to others, she wasn't particularly close to any of the juniors. She eventually retired from the sport for unknown reasons.
Karasuno High Team Formation ArcEdit
3-on-3 First Years Match
In the anime, Kiyoko appears after Shōyō Hinata and Tobio Kageyama are kicked out of the gym. In the manga, she only appears on the day of the first years; match. Kiyoko later brings in the uniforms for the first years.
At the end of the match, Daichi Sawamura notes that he's glad things have finally been resolved. He thanks Kōshi Sugawara and Kiyoko shares a look with the setter before they both place their hands on Daichi's shoulders, surprising him.
Aobajōsai Practice Match
Tokyo Expedition ArcEdit
Spring High Preliminary ArcEdit
Being a former track member, Kiyoko has impressive speed, jumping and stamina where she has fast reflexes that enable her to stop stray volleyballs from hitting her or Hitoka Yachi. Despite having no volleyball experience, Kiyoko has an accurate underhand serve.
Hinata finds Kiyoko attractive that he is often flustered around her. When Kiyoko was looking for a new manager, Hinata eagerly agreed to help her and Kiyoko seems to be fond of Hinata and his innocent nature, often reminding him to focus on his studies and volleyball practice.
The team respectfully acknowledges Kiyoko as part of the team. She often gets crowded by Yū Nishinoya and Ryūnosuke Tanaka, who both have a huge crush on her, on a daily basis. Kiyoko doesn't seem bothered by this (though she'll scold them when they get out of hand). It was Daichi who had recruited Kiyoko as a manager and having known them since they were all first years, Kiyoko is very close with the third years.. He continued to tirelessly pursue her throughout their time in high school and was repeatedly turned down. Kiyoko goes on to marry Tanaka sometime in the future after High School, in which this detail is revealed in V-League arc where they went to see the Schweiden Adlers vs Black Jackals game.
- The name Kiyoko means "virtue" (潔) (kiyo) and "child" (子) (ko).
- Kiyoko's surname Shimizu means "clear, pure, clean" (清) (shi) and "water" (水) (mizu).
- Favorite Food: Tenmusu
- Current Concern: Whether to have Jagarico or Jagabee for her snack.
- In middle school, she used to get cuts and bruises on her legs from running into hurdles. To hide them, she would wear black tights. Even after retiring from the sport, she continues to wear them out of habit.
- Her star sign is Capricorn.
- Oikawa’s current concern lists her as having ignored his advances before (but she must just have been shy, and it's not like he's all that bothered by it, not even a little bit, not at all, Oikawa said to himself).
- Furudate gave her this name because: “I like the way ‘Kiyoko’ sounds. I managed to name her without much trouble.”
- In Haikyuu's first popularity poll, Shimizu placed 13th with 2,460 votes. In the second, she dropped to 21st with 2,640 votes.
- "Do...Do your best." (To the Karasuno team, Season 1 Episode 14)
- "I think our team's [Karasuno] is among the best in the prefecture." (To Hitoka Yachi, Season 2 Episode 2)
- "This time, we're [Karasuno] going to stand on the national stage." (To Yachi, Season 2 Episode 2)
- "I don't think everyone has to like something before giving it a try. I don't think you need an unwavering will or lofty motive just to get started. Sometimes things that you start on a whim end up becoming very important to you, too. To get started, I think you just need a little bit of curiosity." (To Yachi, Season 2 Episode 3)
- "I may not stand on the court... I may not wear the uniform... But, right now, at this very moment... I stand with them on the front line of the battlefield." (To herself, Volume 26 Chapter 232)
- "A banana suits Tanaka." (Meaning that he behaves like a monkey; To herself, Volume 12 Chapter 101)
- "You train, keep training, then train some more. The countless hours you put in, the progress made... All of it can come to a screeching halt in the blink of an eye... So what if it does, though?" (To herself, Volume 26 Chapter 232)
- "I cannot say that we will be the ones defeated, nor can I say with any certainty that we will stand victorious. All we can do is simply rise to the challenge." (To herself, Volume 26 Chapter 232)
- "You aren't going to win any games just because you prayed to the gods for it. It's going to be alright. Even if the gods aren't in your favour , you've got nothing to worry about." (To Asahi Azumane, Daichi Sawamura and Kōshi Sugawara, Volume 26 Chapter 229)