Motoya Komori (Japanese:
Komori is currently the tallest libero in the series, standing at 180cm tall. He has short, light-colored hair and thick, round eyebrows.
Komori appears to have a friendly and outgoing personality. He encourages and admires other players at the training camp and strikes up a conversation with Kageyama when he sees him at nationals.
Tokyo Nationals Arc Edit
Preparation for Nationals Edit
Komori is invited to the All-Japan Youth Intensive Training Camp. He is on Kageyama's team during a practice game and encourages him when he makes a mistake. Later, at lunch, he appears while Sakusa is interrogating Kageyama about how Karasuno beat Shiratorizawa and tells Kageyama to ignore him, commenting that Sakusa can be "a real downer." He explains the reasons behind Sakusa's behavior and apologizes for the intrusion as they part ways.
Later, during another practice game, Komori notes Kageyama's ability to calmly respond to and deliver on spikers' requests and calls it "terrifying." He's also vocally impressed by Hoshiumi's jumping ability. In the last practice game, where the players switch up positions, Komori plays as a wing spiker. When he leaves the camp, he waves goodbye to Kageyama with a smile.
Komori greets Kageyama at nationals and when Kageyama asks if Sakusa is with him, he points out Sakusa in the corner, avoiding the crowd.
Komori is known as the #1 High School libero, indicating that he is incredibly skilled in receives. He was also invited to the All-Japan Youth Intensive Training Camp. He has also shown that he has good court-awareness when he made way for Kageyama to attack.
Komori is on the same team as Sakusa and often teases him about how cautious he is, calling him "a real downer" and commenting that a lot of the time he's imagining his physical ailments. However, Komori also admits that he thinks it's not bad to be cautious about these kinds of things, and he clearly understands Sakusa very well, suggesting that they are close. They are later revealed to be cousins.
- He was shown in Volleyball Monthly for being the #1 high school libero meaning that he's even better or just as good as Yū Nishinoya
- Komori (古森) - Old Forest
- Motoya (元也) - 元- Origin, 也 - Call
- "Well... uh, this is the first time we're playing together." (To Kageyama, Volume 24 Chapter 214)
- "Hey! Sorry 'bout this. This guy is kinda the most utterly pessimistic person you'll find on the whole planet." (To Kageyama about Sakusa, Volume 24 Chapter 215)
- "As soon as he thinks somebody might be a threat to him, he just has to know all he can about them!" (To Kageyama about Sakusa, Volume 24 Chapter 215)
- "Right now he thinks his shoulder isn't feeling up to snuff. Though it's almost always completely in his head. Oh well! There's nothing bad about being careful, right? Better safe than sorry, they say!" (To Kageyama about Sakusa, Volume 24 Chapter 215)
- " Okay,' He says. After that vague of a request—and he'll actually manage it too. That's the really scary part." (Thoughts about Kageyama, Volume 24 Chapter 215)
- "Whoa. Now that was a jump!" (About Hoshiumi, Volume 24 Chapter 215)
- "Sakusa really, really hates crowds." (To Kageyama about Sakusa, Volume 26 Chapter 231)
- "We were cousins and about the same age, but I didn't know him well." (About Sakusa, Chapter 394)