Kurosu is a middle aged man with short and light-colored hair. His eyebrows, however, are much darker. He wears black-rimmed glasses.
As the coach of Inarizaki, Kurosu shares the team's moto "We don't need memories" and encourages his player to always challenge themselves. He appears to be rather fair and open-minded as seen when he gives a second chance to Riseki without getting angry at him for messing up his first serve.
He is also a dog lover. It is revealed that the member of his family most attached to him is probably his dog.
Kurosu seems to have been head coach for Inarizaki for a while now. He is seen watching one of the Miya twins' matches when they were still in junior high.
Tokyo National Arc
Kurosu leads his team Inarizaki to face off against Karasuno on the second day of the Spring Interhigh. Throughout the match, he is seen giving advice to his players about how to deal with Karasuno. When first year Riseki plays it safe after he is subbed in as a pinch server, Kurosu encourages him by talking to him about the team's motto to always rise up to the challenge.
Overall, he is a very experienced coach who can quickly recognize how a certain play can affect the flow of a game. After the loss to Karasuno, he takes the responsibility for not employing more offensive plays, but is grateful that this match spurred immense growth in his players.
As the coach of Inarizaki High's Volleyball Club, Kurosu is familiar with his players' personality and habits. He is aware of the the Miya twins' tendency to get carried away and knows just when to make substitutions restore the mood of the team. Overall, he appears to be a good coach who has his players' best interest in mind.
- Current concern: He's not worrying about his hairline. He's totally not worrying about it.
- Kurosu has a tendency to use dogs as example in his explanations to his players, indicating that he is a dog lover.
- Kurosu is named after the Cross Fox, also known as "クロスキツネ" or kurosu kitsune.
- Norimune (法宗)
- 法 - Law
- 宗 - Ancestor
- Kurosu (黒須)
- 黒 - Black
- 須 - Necessarily
- Norimune (法宗)
- "Even if the number one players in the world do nothin' but the same thing over and over, they'll get knocked outta the top spot lickety-split. We aren't the number one anything yet, so what will clinging to a year ago, a week ago, an hour ago get us? Nothing. Forget before. Focus on now, and find one thing, anything, to challenge yourself with." (To Heisuke Riseki, Volume 32 Chapter 280 )
- "He's been that way ever since middle school. Never any unnecessary actions, never a superfluous word. His technical plays were still lacking in experience, but he was always diligent. And, now, Shinsuke is brimming with confidence. Not the “I’m the strongest of all” type of confidence, but… the confidence from someone who knows they’ll never screw up.” (About Shinsuke Kita, Volume 31 Chapter 274)