Kuroo is noted to be tall and lean with broad shoulders, well-built arms, and a muscular frame. He has narrowed-eyes and hazel colored, grey in the manga, cat-like pupils that make him appear sly and intimidating. His black hair is naturally messy and spikes upwards due to his bed head. He also has a fringe on his right side that partially covers his right eye. As a result of his peculiar hairstyle, he is occasionally called "Rooster Head".
Kuroo is often seen wearing a black shirt, red sweatpants, and the Nekoma High jacket. During official matches, he wears the Nekoma uniform numbered with a '1.'
Kuroo has a laid-back yet scheming personality and is considered a "provocation expert." by many. He would actively provoke others and is unrelenting when dishing out snide remarks. This talent is demonstrated in the way he angers Tsukishima when the first-year blocker maintained a nonchalant attitude toward volleyball during the summer training camp. However, Kuroo is far kinder and genuine than what his exterior image conveys. After realizing he has overstepped a line, Kuroo seeks out and apologizes to Daichi about the provocation, later on, proving that while he is a "provocation expert," sportsmanship is still important to him. He also cares and respects his elder coach, Nekomata, immensely, enough to help Karasuno improve in order to fulfill Nekomata's dream of competing against each other at nationals a reality.
According to Kenma, Kuroo was a shy and withdrawn kid who first moved into his neighborhood when he was eight years old. He was quiet in front of strangers and awkward around Kenma at first, despite the two being close in age. Both of them bonded over video games and eventually practiced volleyball together. Slowly, Kuroo began to come out of his shell as the two got increasingly involved in the sport. He became a much louder and energetic person, made new friends at school, and started going out to play soccer with the other kids.
Kuroo is also shown to be a highly observant and intuitive person, not unlike their team setter, when it comes to both volleyball and other people. Even as a kid, he was incredibly mindful of Kenma's quiet, withdrawn personality, and had the sense to not drag him out to do something the boy didn't have any fun in doing. In matches, his attentive nature as a middle blocker proves to be extremely lethal for Nekoma's opponents. He quickly tracks down and analyzes every move of the spikers, allowing him to put up a successful block and destroy the momentum of the opposing team.
Around his teammates, Kuroo is a reliable, strong captain, often responsible for lifting the spirits of the team when they are feeling down using sly quips. He seems to derive enjoyment from facing strong opponents and hides his frustration with sharp smirks and boisterous remarks, all the while scheming strategies to break down the opposing team.
Despite seeming sly and cool on the outside, Kuroo possesses a silly side that is on display when he belts out in loud obnoxious laughter and engages in frivolous conversation with Bokuto . Kuroo also seems to either see himself as more of an old man or people only a year or two younger than him as children, as shown when he proclaims "Ah, youth" after seeing Inuoka and Hinata and talking with Tsukishima .
Kuroo is considered by many to be a blocking expert and is excellent at pressuring opponents. He possesses fine-tuned techniques and is recognized to be Tsukishima's blocking teacher. In addition, Kuroo is an amazing all-rounder, essential to Nekoma in both offense and defense. Like the rest of his team, Kuroo is flexible and efficient with receiving. Even though a middle blocker is usually rotated out with the libero, Kuroo has shown the ability to play back-row capably after Yaku is taken out due to injury. He is also currently the only starting member to have a good jump serve.
Jumping Reach: 330 cm
- Masterful Blocking: Kuroo is a skilled read blocker and is capable of stopping Bokuto's spikes, despite the latter being one of the top five spikers in the country. His expertise in blocking is mainly derived from his firm grasp of the nuances, such as the proper posture, timing, and jumps. When jumping to block, Kuroo would stop and jump straight up instead sideways. At the same time, he tries to match his blocking timing with the moment the ball is spiked downward. This allows Kuroo to block spikers taller or stronger than him.
- Personal Time Difference Attack: Kuroo picked up the personal time difference attack after watching volleyball matches in his childhood and perfected the move with Kenma over the years. It's one of Nekoma's strongest attacks and can be used to throw off the opposing blockers.
- Jump Serve: Kuroo is one of the two players on Nekoma shown to be able to use a jump serve. He first showed off his jump serve in the match against Fukurōdani Academy in which he is able to land a free ball for Nekoma. Since then, he has used the jump serve reliably either for service aces or breaking the opponents' formations.
- Favorite Food: Grilled salted mackerel pike.
- Current Concern: Can't get rid of his bedhead hair.
- His hair sticks up like that because it's his natural bedhead, according to Kenma.
- Kenma had also stated that this happens because Kuroo sleeps on his stomach while pressing two pillows onto both his ears and his hair.
- In Haikyuu's first popularity poll, Kuroo placed in 6th with 4035 votes. In the second, he placed 8th with 6511 votes.
- It has been theorized that Kuroo could possibly be ambidextrous as he has been shown spiking with both hands in the manga. However, Furudate has stated right-handed players spiking were occasionally drawn spiking with their left hand due to drawing while half-asleep.
- In the official English sub of the anime, his name is written as 'Kuro'.
- In a flashback Tsukishima has of the training camp, Kuroo and Bokuto were shown to have switched hairstyles.
- Kuroo is the youngest of the third years.
- His star sign is Scorpio.
- He is in Class 5, a college preparatory class.
- He knows the full term for DHA (docosahexaenoic acid).
- Tetsurō (鉄朗) - Iron Cheerfulness
- Kuroo (黒尾) - Black Tail