Wakatsu Kiryū (Japanese:
He has dark hair and a buzz-cut with bald stripes along the sides of his head and big, oval-shaped eyebrows.
Kiryū appears to have a tendency to over-analyze. He is shown stressing over the ulterior motive behind Bokuto eagerly greeting him prior to their match, even though Bokuto had no such motive. Despite being a top 3 spiker, Kiryū admits to not having confidence in his own abilities. In the past, he struggled with feelings of not being able to be the dependable ace his team needed, like Ushijima was for his school. That part of his personality remained unchanged even in high school when playing against Bokuto brought out Kiryū's insecurities. However, he possesses a strong sense of responsibility to his teammates that drives him to improve and overcome heavy pressure.
He attended Mujinazaka High, located in Ōita Prefecture, and was one of the nation's top three aces. Back in middle school, Kiryū was already a reliable ace who led his team to a second-round victory in the National Middle School Athletics Tournament. Due to their similar playstyle, he was compared to Ushijima and said to be a better all-rounder. However, Ushijima broke through the heavy defense constantly marking him whereas Kiryū succumbed to the pressure and backed away from the challenge. After their loss, Kiryū was devastated to hear his setter apologizing to him and promised he will hit every toss.
Tokyo Expedition Arc
Tokyo Nationals Arc
Kiryu appears on the second day of nationals with the rest of his team after being seeded into the second round. He is seen observing the first set in the match between Inarizaki and Karasuno. His team won their first two matches and lost to Fukurodani in the quarterfinals.
Kiryū is a powerful, talented player, considered one of the Top 3 Aces in Japan. During his third year of Middle School, Atsumu Miya considered him to be a better all-round player than Wakatoshi Ushijima. He has a powerful spike rivaling Ushijima's, able to easily smash through three-person blocks, but he also has formidable leg strength due to the emphasis his school puts on physical training. This allows him to hit powerful spikes with only a one-step run-up, whereas most spikers require two to three steps. Even when hitting sub-par tosses, Kiryū is able to maximize the strength of his spikes without losing precision. He also has a very powerful jump serve and is very proficient at receiving.
- Favorite food: Raw Oyster
- Current concern: Receiving serves; how he should guide his juniors; his little sister's brown hair; the swallows that come to his house every years haven't been coming lately etc.
- He currently has the highest BMI in the Manga with 24, being tied with Gao and Reon.
- Wakatsu (八) - Eight
- Kiryū (桐生) - 桐 - Tung, 生 - Living
- "They don't care what folks say about them. They don't compare themselves to other players. Heck, it's almost like they don't realize those kinda thoughts exist in the first place. All they want... all they think about... is playin' volleyball. Ushijima. Bokuto. I ain't gonna let you one-up me forever!" (Chapter 330)
- "I see it, y'know. No fear. no jitters. Just goin' out there and doin' what you do. The greatest have fun. Then... when you're having fun, you're the greatest." (Chapter 334)
- "I've got no confidence in my skills whatsoever but I am pretty confident that I've been blessed with great teammates." (Chapter 334)
- "It hurts. It's hard. I'm scared. The fear of losing. Other people's expectations. Forget all that. Ain't got time to think about that now. I'm too busy tryin' to keep up with him. Too busy tryin' to play volleyball." (Chapter 335)